Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Kystmuseet i Øygarden, Hordaland, Norway

Visited october 16, 2006
I like that the exhibition is so rich with objects, every space is filled. It is nicely clustered, and decently lit. Unfortunately it has five life-size mannequins placed about the exhibition helping support the notion that life in Øygarden used to be intolerable (for more on this see my text on puppets in exhibitions Obs! External link!).

It looks to me as if the exhibition is chronological. A text panel tells me it is based on the use of the natural resources of the area, the four elements. This might not be the most exciting way of organizing the information in our day and time. I find I have a preference for thematicly organized exhibitions. (This could probably be made into its own entry om thematic vs. chronological stories...)

Basically it is a lot of objects and I find it hard to relate to any of them, there is no interpretation of the objects; eg how they are made, how they were used etc.

Text
The text panels are way too many and way too long. Supposedly there are two levels of information, but I see at least three, the third being the printed labels describing objects.

Trying to read any of the three levels of information I fall asleep before the first paragraf is over. The language is heavy and complicated.

Conclusion
All in all I get the impression that this is a well made, if somewhat old-fashioned and quite boring exhibition. Its storytelling seems rooted in the philosophy of the 1970ies.


No comments: